Children Speech Therapy
We offer assessment and therapy services for children who present with speech, language and/or communication difficulties that may be due to the following causes:-
- Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder
- Articulation and Phonological Disorders
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD)
- Childhood Stuttering
- Developmental Apraxia of Speech
- Global Developmental Delay
- Hearing Loss
- Language Delay (“Late bloomers”)
- Specific Language Impairment
A typical assessment session generally takes about an hour to complete and may include the administration of a standardized test, clinical observation during free/structured play, and interview or questionnaire with the parent or caregiver. The 3 main areas to be assessed will include speech, language (comprehension and expression), and communication.
Assessment findings will help us to identify the problem, if one is present, and determine the child’s current developmental age of function as well as the severity and nature of the deficit. Appropriate recommendations can then be made with regard to suitability of therapy, type of therapy approaches, specific therapy goals as well as frequency and length of treatment.
Therapy sessions generally last for 45 minutes to 1 hour in length, depending on the age of the child and nature of the
speech and/or language difficulties. And because we are providing therapy in an environment familiar to the child, new skills taught can be put to real life practice almost immediately by enacting daily routines or play with toys and games that is of interest to the child.
We are able to provide the following specialised treatment approaches:-
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Hanen Programme – It Takes Two to Talk & More Than Words
- PROMPT Technique (Introductory Level)
- Developmental, Individual Difference, Relationship-based (DIR®/Floortime™)
- Social Thinking
- Lidcombe Programme